Like many old buildings that have stood the test of time, lighthouses present a bit of our history – even if they are no longer in use today. One example would be the Fullerton Lighthouse, one of the three lighthouses of Singapore’s past that overlooked the Singapore Harbour.
Lighthouse that overlooked the Singapore Harbour
Image credit: Roots
Installed in 1958, the Fullerton Lighthouse was erected on top of the Fullerton Building to replace the long-standing Fort Canning Lighthouse. It stood 48 metres tall and shone over the Singapore Harbour. When it was in operation, it would flash 4 times every 20 seconds and its light could be seen by ships as far as 29KM away.
As an increasing number of skyscrapers started to pepper the Singapore skyline over the years, the lighthouse gradually lost its functionality and was officially decommissioned and replaced by the Bedok Lighthouse in 1978.
In place of the lighthouse atop Fullerton Building, is an aptly named fine dining restaurant, The Lighthouse.
Now on display near Harbourfront Centre
The Fullerton Lighthouse that served as a maritime guide for 20 years
Image credit: lightphotos
No longer in use, the lighthouse is now located at Harbourfront for all to visit and look upon a relic of Singapore’s past.
Make a trip down to see this weathered lighthouse outside Harbourfront Tower 1 before taking a ride on the Singapore Cable Car, which is right next to the tower. Or simply make it a pitstop on your next Mount Faber hike by crossing the main road near the Marang entrance.
Getting to Fullerton Lighthouse
Alight at the Aft HarbourFront Stn bus stop along West Coast High Way and walk towards the direction of Harbourfront Centre. Alternatively, take the MRT and alight at Harbourfront Station and walk in the direction of Harbourfront Centre.
Address: Near 1 Harbourfront Place, Singapore 098633
Opening hours: 24/7
More on places to visit in Singapore: