This article contains information, addresses and a guide to the Bare Your Sole walk happening this Saturday the 1st of June. It's also where you can learn more about the cause the fundraiser is supporting and see interviews with key personal behind the scenes who have made this happen.
The Bare Your Sole walk is finally here, the annual fund raiser walk that helps raise awareness and funds for an important cause - helping the elderly who live alone in Singapore.
In Part 1 we learned that there are 35,000 elderly living alone in Singapore today. This number includes the elderly who are in poor health, disabled, have been abandoned by their children and those that need help to get by day to day.
Just last year, a 81-year-old man believed to have fallen in the kitchen was found dead by his neighbours in his Jurong Flat. And this is only one of the cases reported. As our population grows, the number of elderly living alone is projected to increase to 83,000 in 2030 and we wanted more awareness to be made for this issue.
In Part 2 to get a better understanding of the project "Project Homeworks", we talked to some key figures behind the Bare Your Sole event. This included Teck-Meng the national director of Habitat for Humanity and Mark Stafford, Global COO at Barclays.
Finally, in this last series we take a look at how some Singapore football legends have done their part in helping promote and raise funds for this event. Remember you can do your part too and all you need to do is to head down to Gardens by the Bay this Saturday!
- Date: 1st June 2013 - 9am - 12pm
- Location: Gardens by the Bay East (Rhu Cross)
- Food, Music, Games and Entertainment will run from 8.30am to 12pm.
More information can be found on their office website here. Come on down and support a great cause this Saturday!
Part 3: Singapore Football Legends raise awareness for Bare Your Sole
On 17th May a team of Singapore football legends came together at the X-League Barefoot Football Tournament in an effort to raise funds and awareness for Habitat-Barclays Bare Your Sole event. We were there to film the games!
Some of the soccer legends and media personalities who kicked-off with the Barclays team in the first game of tournament included:
- Mark Richmond – Singapore Sports Council executive & former MediaCorp sports presenter
- Richard Bok – Bok is the most successful coach in the history of Singapore's S.League leading SAFFC to winning the S.League title four times.
- Terry Pathmanathan - Former Singapore Captain. He was nicknamed "Captain Marvel", for his leadership qualities
- Malek Awab - Second most capped Singapore national player (121 caps)
Part 2: Behind the Scenes of Bare Your Sole
Part 1: Helping the Elderly with Habitat for Humanity
Photographs from Bare Your Sole.