TSL JOB OPPORTUNITIES
We have started hiring for 2021 so write in now! We regularly update this page with job vacancies from the companies under TSL Media – TSL, Eatbook, Zula and MS News.
Internships positions available for January 2021 intake
- 1 x Software Engineer Assistant
- 2 x TSL Creative Assistant – To handle TSL FB videos and our articles’ photography
- 2 x TSL YouTube Video Producer Assistant
- 2 x TSL Production Assistant
Available full-time positions
FT positions are only available to applicants with at least 2 years working experience. More information on these full-time positions can be found here. If you’re a fresh graduate and need to pick up working experience first, consider our internship programs below which can fast-track you to a FT position in 6 months. We have frozen our hiring for most positions and most of the following are replacement positions.
- [New role] 1 x General Manager (15 years of experience is needed in the media/advertising industry)
- 1 x Accounts Executive
- 1 x Sub-Editor for regional (Thailand)
- 1 x Software Engineer
- 1 x Senior Business Dev (At least high 6 figure annual closing and experience in the media industry)
For an inside look at TSL with video interviews of our team, check out our TalentTribe feature or watch the video below to see what our office culture is like. The rest of this article will be about our internship positions.
ABOUT OUR INTERNSHIPS
We receive a lot of applications so please read these instructions carefully to increase your chances of getting an interview. Our next internship batch starts in Jan 2021 and you can start applying now.
- All interns have to commit to a 6-month long internship, no exception. If you’re still in school and a confused millennial, take a gap semester. It may be the best decision you make.
- For those looking for industrial attachments, we regularly work with unis and polys and if your course is relevant, you can take up our internship as part of your school’s attachment. We’ve worked officially with NTU Wee Kim Wee, NUS FASS/CNM, SMU, SP Mass Comm, NYP, etc.
- All positions need a portfolio. Journalist interns should share writing samples. Video producers should include links to their videos. Creatives should include links to their photography work. Advertising executives have to score 18/20 on this test to get an interview.
If you have an interest in pursuing a career in the media industry, TSL is where you’ll get to learn first-hand from the leading lifestyle publisher in Singapore. You don’t have to be super experienced, but you must show potential as these are competitive positions. We’ll teach you everything else. If you still can’t imagine what your first job would be after you graduate, this internship may just help you figure that out.
We are a young start-up with a dynamic working environment. You will not be chucked in a corner and left to do menial work. Our interns are mentored by experienced full-timers and you will be given hands-on experience and opportunities. The office culture is open and collaborative and many interns graduate with lifelong friends.
If you’re just looking for ‘fun’ content for your Instagram account and to ‘play’, this is not the internship for you. We are looking for applicants with a mature attitude towards work, who’ll put in their 100% during their internship. If you get triggered when people give you feedback, do not apply because nobody is going to entertain your ego. We value interns who recognise feedback is required for growth. And that in every job, there are also the less fun parts that require self-discipline.
WHICH COMPANY SHOULD I APPLY FOR?
Please familiarise yourself with the content of the company you’re applying for or you won’t do well in the interview. TSL positions are the most competitive, so if you don’t have a strong portfolio, apply to work at a few of our companies to increase your chances of getting an interview. The creative/TVC roles require the most technical skill so we have linked references that indicate the standard we look for.
At TSL, you must have an interest in covering the latest events and happenings in Singapore. You’ll also be writing about new products, conducting interviews, reviewing food etc so you must be a versatile storyteller. The best performing interns get to travel for work too.
TSL editorial content examples:
- Singapore To London By Train In 17 Days Under $1,600
- Cartoon Network Is A Pop-Up Festival At Gardens by The Bay With We Bare Bears
Apart from editorial, we also have roles for video content creators.
One of our three studios in the office for filming and shoots.
For our YouTube channel, you’ll need basic experience for this position so you need to show us videos you’ve filmed on your own outside of school.
For our Productions team, you’ll assist as a production assistant or a video editor. This team handles TVCs, short films and other high production commercial work. You need to have intermediate experience for this position. Here’s a demo reel of an applicant we accepted. Your work has to be around this standard to be accepted.
TSL YouTube/TVC team examples:
For our Creative Photography team, you need to be great at photography and it will be a bonus if you can do basic video editing. You must have an eye for aesthetics. Your work will include photography, product styling, fashion shoots, Facebook videos, image manipulation etc. Here’s a portfolio of an applicant we accepted.
At Eatbook.sg you need to have a true passion for food. Loving to eat is not enough. You’ll be doing undercover reviews on the newest restaurants/cafes, writing listicles etc and systematically breaking down what makes a good recommendation.
Editorial content examples:
- Fatty Bom Bom Undercover Review – Halal-Certified Western Food With Big Portions
- Shabu En Review: First Kyushu-Style Beef Ring Hot Pot In Singapore
- Llaollao Returns To Singapore In June 2018 At Changi Airport
Video content examples:
- What’s New At Geylang Serai Ramadan Bazaar 2018
- CHEAP VS EXPENSIVE: Instant Noodle Taste Test
- Artbox 2018 Must-Try Food Stalls
At ZULA.sg, you must have an interest in writing about female-centric content such as beauty, fashion, relationships, female-inspiration etc.
Zula editorial content creates:
- How I Almost Swiped Left To My Boyfriend Of 1 Year 2 Months On Tinder
- My Husband Died In A Crash While I Was Pregnant
Zula video content examples:
- She Raised 3 Kids From Different Fathers | Inspiring Women in Singapore
- We Flew To Korea And Rented An OPPA For A Day
At MS News, you want to help more young Singaporeans be aware of what’s going on. This includes repackaging current affairs to make news more relatable to young readers
MS News editorial content examples:
- 14 Mahathir Facts You’ll Need To Know, Since He’s Become Malaysia’s Prime Minister Again
- There’s A 27-Hour Marvel Movie Marathon That Ends With Avengers: Infinity War
MS News video content examples:
At Wiki.sg, you’ll be in charge of providing research to our team for the more difficult technical topics. When it comes to learning, you have an insatiable appetite for knowledge and you find yourself scrolling through Wikipedia more than IG stories. This could range from anything from “How to buy a car in Singapore” to “Solving the mystery of McDonald’s fried chicken which suddenly disappeared.”
Our team ideating in our chill area!
View this post on Instagram
How to Apply:
Your email will be your first interview so think of a way to make yourself stand out. Send an email to Miss Athene at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject being the position you’re applying for. e.g “Food Writer Intern Journalist”
Use a conversational writing style and tell us over 3 paragraphs:
- About yourself and relevant background experience
- Why you think you’re suitable
- Your social media accounts
- Your period of availability
- Your resume
- You can include your results for this pattern recognition test (optional).
It is absolutely essential to include your portfolio.
If you do the above right and show us your personality through your writing, you’ll land yourself an interview. This position is challenging and requires responsibility and hard work throughout the internship – that’s the best way to grow and acquire skillsets. If you’re thinking of just having fun at a ‘chill’ job, swipe left. I mean, please do not apply.
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. Good luck everyone!