NokScoot shuts down
Image adapted from: NokScoot
The economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic continues to take its toll on Thailand’s aviation industry, with NokScoot announcing its shutdown last week.
On 26th June 2020, the carrier’s board of directors announced their decision to liquidate the company as their business couldn’t recover from its financial crisis due to the pandemic.
“Unprecedented challenges arising from the COVID-19 pandemic have further exacerbated the situation,” NokScoot said in a statement.
450 staff unemployed
Image credit: NokScoot
The company’s decision to shut down will leave a total of 450 workers unemployed. All employees will leave with full benefits according to Thai law.
Who owned the airline?
Image credit: Pantip
NokScoot was founded in 2014 as a joint venture between Thai-born Nok Airlines with 51% of the shareholders and Singaporean-based Scoot, a Singapore Airlines subsidiary, with the remaining 49%.
The airline had a base in Bangkok’s Don Mueang airport and operated medium to long-haul flights to major Asian destinations such as Japan, China, Singapore, and Taipei.
Let’s hope Thailand’s tourism and economy recover very quickly after this.
- Thailand To Resume International Flights By September This Year Says Aviation Chief
- Thai Airways Will Go To Bankruptcy Court And Undergo Rehabilitation Plan
- AirAsia Thailand To Fully Resume All Domestic Flights This July