NCR to shift to ECQ starting 6th August
After Hidilyn Diaz‘s historic gold medal win at the Olympics, it’s back to our reality for now – as more and more delta variant cases are being reported, the National Capital Region (NCR) or Metro Manila will be placed under the strictest lockdown or Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ), from 6th August to 20th August 2021.
Before the ECQ begins, a week of General Community Quarantine (GCQ) with heightened and additional restrictions will also begin to take place starting today, from 30th July to 5th August, in preparation for the ECQ. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque announced the new protocols on a televised broadcast on Friday morning, 30th July.
What are the additional restrictions under the heightened GCQ?
Al fresco restaurant
Image credit: @nikkei_nama_bar
Under the stricter GCQ, the guidelines are as follows:
- Indoor and al fresco dining in restaurants are prohibited, only take-out and delivery allowed (operations of restaurants on 30 July 2021 allowed to continue until end of business hours)
- Personal care services establishments may operate up to 30% capacity
- Indoor courts, venues, and tourist attractions may not operate
- Outdoor tourist attractions are allowed operation up to 30%
- Only authorized persons can travel into and out of NCR Plus (Metro Manila plus Cavite, Rizal, Bulacan, Laguna)
- Only virtual religious gatherings are allowed
- Wakes for those who died of causes other than COVID-19 should be allowed, limited to family members
- Public transportation to continue
Further guidelines will be announced in view of the ECQ
Image credit: Alveo Properties/Wikimedia Commons
Roque only highlighted guidelines for the stricter GCQ, but said that we should await further rules for August 6 onwards.
Under the ECQ in the past, only essential establishments and services had been allowed to operate, such as hospitals and grocery stores. Public transportation had also been suspended.
Other sectors such as banking, veterinary clinics, and telecommunications had been allowed to function with a skeletal workforce then.
NCR’s ECQ beginning 6th August 2021
As Delta variant cases are highly transmissible, it’s crucial that we avoid the worst as early as possible. Starting today until 20th August, let’s all prepare for the lockdowns by going outdoors for only essential reasons.
Also check out:
Cover image adapted from: