7-day quarantine in Thailand
After an extended period without quarantine-free tourism, Thailand’s recent announcement suggests the nation is moving closer towards open international tourism. The latest in the series of declarations is the shortened quarantine period for fully vaccinated travellers entering the Kingdom – seven days from ten days.
Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) officials stipulated that travellers must have been inoculated with a vaccine approved by the World Health Organisation (WHO) or the Ministry of Public Health.
Thailand’s recent travel announcements
Reduced quarantine period in Thailand
Under the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) guidelines, international arrivals are eligible for a shortened quarantine period if they can prove they have been fully vaccinated within a 14-day time frame before their arrival in Thailand – the vaccine has to be approved by the WHO or the Ministry of Public Health, according to Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).
In addition to proof that they have received the full dosage of the approved Covid-19 vaccines, entrants must provide:
- A valid visa or re-entry permit.
- Certificate of Entry (COE) issued by the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate.
- A COVID-19 health insurance policy with a minimum coverage of USD100,000.
- Confirmation of Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) hotel booking
- A medical certificate with a RT-PCR laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before departure.
List of approved vaccines as of 31st March 2021:
- Required two doses: RS-CoV-2 Vaccine (CoronaVac) by Sinovac
- Required two doses: AZD1222 by AstraZeneca/Oxford
- Required two doses: AZD1222 by SK BIOSCIENCE – AstraZeneca/Oxford
- Required two doses: BNT162b2/CORMIRNATY – Tozinameran (INN) by Pfizer/BioNTech
- Required two doses: Covishield (ChAdOx1_nCoV19) by the Serum Institute of India
- Required 1 dose: Ad26.COV2.S by the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson
- Required two doses: mRNA-1273 by Moderna
Exceptions to seven-day quarantine period
Travellers who are unable to supply proof of vaccinations must undergo a 10-day quarantine period. Additionally, those flying in from nations with mutated strains of SAR-CoV-2 virus, are required to undergo a 14-day quarantine period.
Countries deemed to have mutated Covid-19 strains:
- South Africa
Thailand’s slowly opening up
Thailand’s recent announcements hinting at reopening is a positive indication that the pandemic situation is improving. It would’ve been impossible to imagine a year ago that international travel would be on hold for a year for many, especially for those whose livelihoods depend on tourism. When visiting the nation, please be mindful and kind to operators who have had their incomes decimated.
Activities to do in the land of smiles
- Kanna is a buffalo cafe in Nakhon Pathom
- ICONSIAM has the biggest Starbucks outlet in Thailand
- Erawan Museum is a gorgeous must-visit spot
- 8 adventure camps & retreats In Thailand