Buffet goer finds earthworm in hotpot


Many Shabu Shabu buffet restaurants are said to be very attentive to every detail, in that they use high-quality meats and dipping sauces made from personal recipes. Without a doubt, we often leave such hotpot buffets with a full stomach, while the sights of soft meats continue to linger on in our memories.

However, those delightful times can instead turn into a nightmare if we happen upon a live creature during our meals.

Here’s the story of Thai woman who found an earthworm in her hotpot while dining at a Shabu Shabu restaurant.

Latest news stories on TSL:


Woman spots earthworm in hotpot


On 22nd December 2021, Facebook page อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทิร์น part 2 posted a series of pictures showing what a woman stumbled upon during her meal at a Shabu Shabu buffet restaurant.


Image credit: อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทิร์น part 2

While enjoying her meal, she spotted a strange creature on her spoon and wondered if it was an earthworm.


Image credit: อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทิร์น part 2

The woman then called the staff to check on it. Later, she was told by the restaurant’s employee that it wasn’t a worm, but was in fact, a mushroom stem.

However, she later found out that her initial thoughts as to what was on her spoon had turned out to be accurate.


Netizens confirm that it’s an earthworm, not a mushroom stem


After the story was posted online with a caption asking whether the object in question was a dirt-dwelling organism or part of a vegetable, several netizens poured in to respond to her question.


Image credit: อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทิร์น part 2

Tonnes of Facebook users’ comments confirmed that it’s 100% an earthworm – shocking other netizens who came across the post.


Screenshot: อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทิร์น part 2

One of the netizens even shared a technique of how to check by looking at the creature’s head.

We suppose that the woman would not visit this Shabu Shabu restaurant for a very long time. Here’s what other social media users had to say.


Other Facebook users shared their comments about the discovered earthworm


Other netizens also shared their comments on the issue.


Screenshot: อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทิร์น part 2

Translation: ughhh, I wanna throw up.

One netizen expressed his feelings of wanting to throw up.


Screenshot: อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทิร์น part 2

Translation: OMG, I have much sympathy for her. Another half of the earthworm might be already in her tummy. 

Another netizen commented that the woman may have already eaten one half of the creature.


Screenshot: อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทิร์น part 2

Translation: The staff who said it’s a mushroom stem better try it himself.

One Facebook user even dared the staff member to prove the earthworm was a mushroom stem by eating it himself.


Food hygiene and safety is crucial


This story about a woman finding an earthworm on her spoon serves a reminder that serving safe, hygienic food should be the top priority for all restaurants. We hope that the buffet eatery’s owner will take responsibility for the woman’s mishap, and we also expect that no one will encountering such a creature in their hot pot again.

While we understand that the worm must’ve been hungry as well, it’s probably best that we eat at separate tables from now on.


Cover images adapted from (L-R): อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทิร์น part 2

Enjoying The Smart Local Thailand? Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this.