Television Shows J jerald September 30, 2012 342
Unanticipated Ending
Overall rating 

Value 

Service 

Quality 

Satisfaction 

Overall Rating 

Holland V was the first channel 8 drama series extending beyond the usual duration of 20 or 30 episodes. It contained distinct characters in the form of 6 siblings living life together. Jeanette Ow played her first major character in Caldecott as the fourth sister, Jing Jing and played it well. Jing Jing is naive, innocent and kind, often going out of her way to help others, her very strength being her weakness as she often gets taken advantage of by the people she helps.

Holland V would always hold a special place in my heart as it formed part of my childhood memories in primary school. I remember watching every episode of Holland V as a primary 4 student and all my peers were watching it as well. Day after day in school we would discuss enthusiastically this drama serial and sometimes even enact certain scenes from it, trying to hone our acting skills by mimicking certain characters.

The part about Holland V which struck me most was its totally unanticipated ending. Wanwan, played by Chen LiPing had to choose between the two men in her life, Fang Nuowen (played by Zheng Geping) and Yang Xiong (Played by Xie Shaoguang) . Ultimately, she flips a coin to decide which man she would spend the rest of her life with. It felt like the plot device of deus ex machina was employed as the seemingly unsolvable dilemma was resolved abruptly by the unexpected intervention of some new object - a coin. It came across as a short-cut method used for the series to end on time.

Nevertheless, it was a good series that provided many insights into navigating complex human relationships and life.
J
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments