Review Detail

Others J jian-qiang March 04, 2014 204
About Time
Overall Score 

I thought that Budget 2014 was well-planned and involved a large number of Singaporeans in improving their welfare. The highlight of this years budget was the Pioneer Generation Package (PGP), aimed at the elderly in Singapore who helped to build Singapore's foundations of success. The PGP takes a substantial burden off these old folk by subsidising a large portion of their medical bills and places them all on the national healthcare insurance scheme, MediShield Life.

I think the intentions are right, but still feel that more can be done for them. The PGP will not help matters much if the elderly person is afflicted with a severe disease and with bills that run into thousands of dollars. MediShield Life will not be enough to cover it, and subsidised bills may still end up being too expensive for the usually poorer elderly. Nonetheless, $8 billion is a lot of money, and I applaud the government for taking the initiative to set aside this sum of money for our pioneers. It really does show that they care for the old in Singapore as well, and are not just concerned with economic growth and financial prosperity.

Given that more elderly are leading healthy and active lifestyles now, and with the HPB promoting the notion of 'ageing well', debilitating but preventive diseases will become a rarity. Such elderly will fall sick only occasionally, and with that, the PGP will be able to cover them and make sure they live well and not have to worry about the constant rising costs of healthcare in Singapore.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments