Review Detail

Chinese Restaurants F farshafarsha April 16, 2012 373
Poor service and slightly overpriced food in a vintage Chinese restaurant setting
(Updated: December 13, 2012)
Overall rating 

Food / Beverage 

Ambience 

Service 

Value 

Overall Score 

I have been to Red Star twice. The first was on a Saturday, at about 2 pm. We headed there with the purpose of eating dim sum but their dim sum starts early and ends early. I asked one of the staff for the timing that they are open for dim sum for and she (prc) rolled her eyes and pointed at the menu on the table which stated the new timings for dim sum. I quelled my anger and settled for lunch instead with my friend.

The food was not bad, and pricing though not cheap, was still affordable. However, I expected the pricing to be cheaper for an old restaurant.

The second time my friend and I headed down, we made it for dim sum (we were there at about 10 am). We had to queue for a short while and were brought to a table at a corner of the room. This made ordering difficult. The ladies will push the carts carrying the dim sum and because the restaurant is so big and the corner tables are all jam-packed together, they will just avoid pushing between the corner tables. In the end, we had to go to them and get the dim sum that we wanted to eat. And we were not alone; others were doing it too.

The dim sum was alright, pricing was not cheap either.

All in all, taking into account the lack of service, the slightly pricey food for that food quality, and the stressful feeling I felt while eating dim sum, I doubt I will be back.

The only saving grace is the vintage Chinese restaurant setting. I have never been to a Chinese restaurant in Singapore with a setting as vintage as this one.

Optional Information:

Average Spent Per Person:
L
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments