Review Detail

Hawker Restaurants R raion October 08, 2012 321
Dropped in quality
Overall Score 

Famous for its chicken rice since I was a child, it has almost been by daily lunch whenever I pass by Simei everytime then.

When I was a child, I would always order the roasted chicken rice with boiled egg. I remember the fragrant of the rice, the tendon chicken and of course the most important add-on for me. Their chilli sauce. It was heaven. One packet of chicken rice cost $2 when I was a child and it became a regular place for me to eat with my cousins when they are on budget.

I have not eaten their chicken for some time already and recently when I had a sudden craving for their chicken rice, it was quite disappointing. Firstly, the price has been raised to $2.50 (it's considered normal now - inflation!). Secondly, the rice was not as fragrant as what I had remembered it to be and the rice now is pretty sticky, not to my liking. The staff was no longer the man I used to see and the new staff keeps getting many customers' orders mixed up. I was rather upset (not because of wrong orders) but I could not find back that nostalgia feeling.

Well to be fair, the chcken now is still tender and the portion given is slightly larger than what I get from other stalls in hwaker centres. Furthermore, the shop has been newly renovated with new tables and chairs. They are now giving free chicken soup (with chicken feet and vegetables) free for customers dining in only. It is located at the side of the chicken rice stall - self-service. However, I find the air in the shop still stuffy and oily and would choose to have seats outside the shop.

The mixed vegetables rice stall is still having similar long queues as the chicken rice stall. But the vegetables doesn't look as fresh to me now. But I will still recommend my friends to give the chicken rice a try even though it was not up to my expectations from when I was a child. I believe it is still delicious since so many office ladies and men are willing to join a long queue for the rice.

Optional Information:

Average Spent Per Person:
Best Part:
Roast chicken rice
Recommend to Friend:
Yes
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments