Review Detail

Hawker Centres D dawntillmidnight April 22, 2012 1818
The centre where all the best food in Singapore comes to
Overall Score 

The Old airport road hawker centre is literally where gourmet cuisines at cheap affordable prices meet. The best of every kind of food gather here, and it is literally one of the jewels of all hawker centres in Singapore.

On my first visit, I tried the Katong Laksa there. It was a lesson of humility for me. I used to think that laksas in Singapore weren't really spicy and the chefs never bothered to put in a decent amount of chili. But the uncle there taught me otherwise with a $4 bowl of laksa. My head was literally in flames and my tears kept tearing when I was done with the bowl.

On my second visit, I tried the western food and washed it down with a bowl of tasty Lao Ban soybean curd. I used to think that Western Gourmet was literally tasteless, deep-fried junk food. But the Western cuisine they sold came with a unique taste that left a lifelong impression. Back then, Lao Ban newly opened, but the quene was still extremely long, with each patron buying a whole stack of soybean curd at one go.

Since then, some years have passed. But whenever I visit the hawker centre, it never ceases to amaze both my tastebuds and the way I perceive food. The number of types of great dishes available is uncountable.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments