Review Detail

Hawker Centres D david-tan January 30, 2013 340
Strategic
Overall Score 

I would be extremely happy indeed, not as a customer of Lau Pat Sat, but as one of the hawkers there. Located in Telok Ayer, which is a mandatory pitstop for me when I visit a friend who lives nearby, the place sees me there relatively frequently. Seeing the masses of people milling around, I suspect that quite a number are in the same situation that I'm in and not instead lured by the fame and popularity of the place. Strategic indeed.

The atmosphere on the place was one that exhibits some tension, being gazetted as a national monument. The presence of the government is noticeable here in which the market looks presentable. Which is totally wrong. A hawker centre, left in its natural state, should be allowed to run amok for all the pleasant surprises all hawker centres has to offer to turn up. A clean hawker centre is not natural. Indeed, much effort has been put in to de-hawkercentre it, seeing the nice architecture, ambience of the lights and modern designs and fittings. As such, the atmosphere feels really weird.

However, I cannot deny that the place is good for tourism and tourist bucks do indeed flow in. Thus, assurance of tourist inflows and its strategic location may have induced the hawkers to become complacent over time, not putting too much effort into their cooking as well as in innovation of new dishes, thus I do not find the fare here exceptional for a place that preaches exceptionism.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments