Local Dessert D dawntillmidnight April 22, 2012 1706
Don't Like It
Overall rating 

Food / Beverage 

Ambience 

Service 

Value 

Overall Score 

Despite all the rave about Lao Ban Soya Beancurd, I actually do not like it very much and prefer the regular soya beancurd that can be found everywhere else.

Firstly, it is too sweet for me. Perhaps it appeals more to people with a sweet tooth and as taste is subjective it is up to each individual to decide! But it is definitely sweeter than regular soya beancurd so take note if you do not like sweet things!

Secondly, the “silky” texture makes it a little too “Soggy” for me. I like my soya beancurd to be more firm, and the Lao Ban one breaks easily and is the kind that “melts in your mouth”.

Thirdly, to me it doesn’t even taste like soya beancurd at all. It definitely tastes different from regular soyabean so I am not quite sure what they add to it. To me it tastes a lot like bubble tea milk!

Lastly, it is so much more expensive than regular beancurd, going at $1.20 a tub compared to the usual 50-70cents.

Overall I would not return to Lao Ban after trying it for the first time as it just does not suit my taste and does not seem to me as genuine old-fashioned soya beancurd.

Optional Information:

Recommend to Friend:
No
D
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments