Review Detail

Bakery & Cakery A alleys-scavenger April 17, 2012 1339
Skip the DIY...go for the ready-made cakes!
Overall rating 

Food / Beverage 

Service 

Value 

Overall Score 

Self-decorated cakes from The Icing Room are easily recognizable by their brightly coloured icing cream. I used to think that it is a pretty innovative idea to DIY a cake for someone. In fact, I enjoyed my first experience in designing a cake with my friends. I also felt that it doubled up as a little kitchen cum playground for the kids whom, as I had observed, enjoyed doodling on the cakes.

Beyond ‘fulfilling a child’s dream’, to quote from their chef, I feel that the novelty has worn out because it's overused. The concept has been around for a number of years, however, the icing, fondants and other decors have not changed or improved. Even if you make an effort to make the cake look beautiful, it doesn't look very much different from another personalized cake from The Icing Room. Besides, the cake was really average in taste.

I would recommend skipping the Design-In-Yourself concept altogether, and have a look at their ready-made cakes and pastries. I particularly like the exotic flavours on their menu, such as Earl Choco (earl grey tea flavoured chocolate cake plus blueberry macaroons). My favourite has got to be Taro Mist, which is essentially a yam mousse cake. Taro flavours are all the rage now and I hardly see taro cakes around. Highly recommended for yam lovers!

Optional Information:

Branch Location:
313 @ Somerset
Recommend to Friend:
Yes
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments