Stellar cakes
(Updated: January 19, 2013)
Overall rating 

Food / Beverage 

Ambience 

Service 

Value 

Overall Score 

Just about everything there is a tad too expensive--breads, sandwiches, mains--so I'd recommend trying only their cakes, if you're on a budget. That said, the cakes there were stellar and perhaps even worth their price, despite their portion sizes. Generally, they're not the heavy, cloying, overly sweet kind served at American-themed dessert places. Instead, the flavours tend to be lighter, fresher, and reminiscent of Japanese pastry, particularly for items like their strawberry shortcake.

We did, however, appreciate their New York Cheesecake, which had a nice, caramelly glaze on top. It was dense and crumbly as any good cheesecake should be, and had just the right amount of sweetness, unlike the sort served at Secret Recipe and NYDC.

Oh-My-Baby-Crepe (I think that's what they called it) was something like a mille-feuille, except done crepe-style. And it was even better -- fresh, cool cream and slices of strawberries nestled in layer after layer of crepe. Every bite was satisfying because the crepe was just so nice to chew on. And after a few bites of crepe comes an explosion of the cream and tart, fresh taste of the strawberries. It's a truly ingenious dessert, which I'm sure cake-lovers will also enjoy.

I highly recommend their cakes, especially for those who fancy the fluffy, spongy variety.

As this place is insanely popular, looking at the size of the regular dinner-time crowd, I would suggest coming on a weekday afternoon if you want some quiet to yourselves and don't want to have a hard time getting a seat.

As far as bread goes, get them while they're freshly baked, and not in the evening, when they would already have been sitting there for too long and gone hard and leathery.

Optional Information:

Recommend to Friend:
Yes
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments