Bakery & Cakery A averlynn-lim November 04, 2013 913
Chocolate Wonder
Overall rating 

Food / Beverage 

Ambience 

Service 

Value 

Overall Score 

Duke Bakery's display of bread and its marketing are impressive. By allowing customers to sample their bread with no obligation to buy, it looks like a dangerous tactic in Singapore. However, I understood their rationale as soon as I tasted my first sample. The bread was really good and it compelled me to buy a bag of Chocolate Buns.

Boring it may sound, it tasted great. The dark brown exterior of the buns yielded easily to pressure and held their weight in the mouth, giving a solid feel. The bread was very slightly savoury, a good support for the sweet, rich chocolate filling. This was not cream adulterated with chocolate but actual melted chocolate which I imagine would solidify in the refrigerator if I kept it in there. I didn't. Melted chocolate is always better.

Another bread that I intend to purchase in the near future is the Chocolate and Cheese. I had a sample of it and it was truly remarkable how the marginally salty cream cheese harmonised with the strong (dark?) chocolate. The result was a luscious, gooey eruption of flavour and mouthfeel that is difficult to describe but divine to experience.

Chocolate lover that I am, I focused on the breads containing chocolate and neglected the others so I cannot really review the other items.

This is a bakery that is not afraid to give free samples, knowing that its products are good enough to snare your patronage. I am impressed.

Optional Information:

Average Spent Per Person:
Branch Location:
Bedok Point
Recommend to Friend:
Yes
RZ
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments