Review Detail

Bakery & Cakery K kuchiki March 03, 2013 2588
Massive crowns of buttery goodness
Overall rating 

Food / Beverage 

Value 

Overall Score 

There is something curiously addictive about the muffins at Chocolat N' Spice, and I have long wondered to myself why I never tire of eating them. After all, they all taste about the same and are made from the same batter--what tastes like a simple mix of butter, flour, and sugar--and the only difference is in the filling, or topping. You might even say that they taste like the pastry you get from your neighbourhood Chinese bakery, that 'cheap' taste that might offend the palate of any cake junkie. But these muffins are an exception. They taste 'cheap' (and are cheap, relatively), and there is not much to praise about, texture- and taste-wise, but they have got me hooked. I love how the muffin itself is so sugary and buttery, a simple, almost rustic taste that reminds one of home-made pastry. Perhaps that is what sets these muffins apart from the pastry sold in many Chinese bakeries.

I highly recommend Banana Walnut, Orange Peel and Raisins, Cheese (one of my all-time favourites), Coffee, and Cranberry, to name a few.

Oh, and these muffins are *huge* and make a for a good breakfast. Given their size and that they cost less than two dollars each, I say every crumb is worth your penny. The next time you have a carb craving, that desire for some sugary fluff in your mouth, go for Chocolat N' Spice instead of something like Twelve Cupcakes (which, by the way, is a total rip-off).

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments