Museums M malcolm-baey March 20, 2012 928
When the adults become the children
(Updated: November 30, 2013)
Overall rating 

Service 

Value 

Enjoyment 

Overall Experience 

The MINT museum while it is a toy museum, is definitely one for the parents and the old-at-heart than the young. The museum's entrance was rather difficult to spot, given that the entrance looked more like a bar and it was dwarfed by two black umbrellas perched in the front. The prices of the tickets did not come cheap either, with adults having to pay a $15 entrance fee while children's tickets were $7.50. However, I feel that people shouldn't really complain about the ticket costs, given that the MINT museum is a privately-owned museum and relies on ticket sales and support from the public to even continue functioning as an integral part of history.

When I went over today, the museum was undergoing some renovation works in the bar areas, however all the displays were still up and running. Row after rows of different toys, all from eras completely foreign to me, it was overwhelming and mind-blowing at the same time. It was hard to even concentrate on a single display shelf, as it seemed like my attention was constantly being torn between the first vintage toy to the next. As we wandered around the shelves, my dad would occasionally point out some of the old gems he recognised from his childhood, including a top which he remembered receiving as a christmas present. It was amusing as he retold the story of his love for the toy and subsequent indignation when one of his brothers broke it. This shows how the MINT museum is not merely a museum, but a physical representation of the memories and childhood of the people in the past, which makes it even more important to support it.

Sentimentality aside, even as a teenager, I had a hard time relating to these 'golden-era' toys, stacked high up on the shelves. I imagine it would be an even more difficult concept for the younger kids, who'd probably prefer playing with the toys than just looking at them through a glass panelling. There was a mother-son pair browsing the displays on the same level as we were. The son got restless after the first level of toys and started to run around and jump on the bench impatiently. There was a sudden moment of frustration as the mother yelled at the boy: "Look and pay attention! I came here for YOU." It was at that moment when I realised, the MINT museum was never for the kids that parents would drag along around the different displays, it was for the adults - the parents and the grandparents. Those seeking to remember a little bit about their own childhood and the past that had been forgotten with what is the finality of time itself.

The MINT museum is a place where adults can become the children they once were. Even if it were only for that fraction of a moment, when a beautiful smile becomes painted on your face as you recognise the toys you once played with. As that same mother had, when I saw her eyes light up at a particular doll display shelf - it is definitely a place worth checking out - for old time's sake.

Optional Information:

Recommend to a friend:
Yes
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments