Floods in Kelantan & Terengganu


The weekend has been incredibly tough for folks residing in the east coast states of Kelantan and Terengganu as heavy downpours have been causing massive floods in many areas, following a weather forecast by the Malaysian Meteorological Department.

The rain has yet to stop in these states, so the number of flood victims is continuing to rise, surpassing 10,000 in a few days.


Nearly 20,000 victims evacuated to relief centres


Rescuing flood victims in n Kelantan and Terengganu
Image credit: Agensi Pengurusan Bencana Negara, Jabatan Perdana Menteri

The current flood situation in Kelantan and Terengganu continues to worsen as more and more people are being evacuated to relief centres.

According to a recent report by The Star on 28th February 2022, the number of victims at relief centres in both states rose from 14,521 on Sunday night to 19,626 as of this morning.

Terengganu is the worst-hit state so far, with the number of victims rising to 11,137 people from 3,177 families from 6,963 people from 2,072 families on Sunday, 27th February 2022.

Currently, evacuees are being placed at 157 relief centres in all eight districts of the state with 44 in Besut, 30 in Setiu, 27 in Hulu Terengganu, 23 in Dungun, 22 in Kemaman, eight in Kuala Nerus, two in Kuala Terengganu and one in Marang.

Meanwhile, in Kelantan, the number of flood victims is said to have increased from 7,558 people from 2,449 families on Sunday to 8,489 people from 2,750 families.

The victims are currently being placed at relief centres in seven districts – 18 in Pasir Mas, 16 in Kuala Krai, 14 in Tanah Merah, eight in Jeli, six in Pasir Puteh, five in Machang and one in Kota Bharu.


Two fatalities recorded in Kelantan


Floods in Kelantan and Terengganu
Image credit: Agensi Pengurusan Bencana Negara, Jabatan Perdana Menteri

Unfortunately, Kelantan has seen two fatalities from the devastating flood so far. Earlier, a 70-year-old man had been found drowned at Kampung Kuala Gris near Dabong in Kuala Krai, about 200 metres from where he was reported missing.

The second fatality involves a 13-year-old boy who was found drowned at Kampung Talang near Kadok at 7.15pm, as reported by Free Malaysia Today.

The teenager, Mohamad Fazli Tamri, a student of SMK Kubang Kiat, as identified by the Kelantan deputy police chief Muhamad Zaki Harun, “was believed to have been riding his bicycle with friends before skidding and falling into a canal at 6.20pm,” the report said.


Floods in Kelantan & Terengganu displaces nearly 20,000 people


With the rising number of victims, it’s truly heartbreaking to witness the agony of folks in Kelantan and Terengganu. Our thoughts and prayers go to all who were affected by this disaster and we hope the situation improves for the better soon.

Read more here:


Cover image adapted from: Mcyah Joanjett and Agensi Pengurusan Bencana Negara, Jabatan Perdana Menteri

Follow The Smart Local Malaysia on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Telegram for more stories like this. If you have a story to share, email us at pressmy@thesmartlocal.com.