DIY spa treatments at home
The beauty of a DIY spa treatments at home is that you know exactly what goes into your own self-made products. Not only are they easy to put together but they are also free from harsh chemicals and safe for kids.
If you’ve been itching for a pamper sesh to get you through the Movement Control Order, you can start planning your #metime with these DIY spa treatments:
Keep up with other MCO related happenings here:
- Ghost in Terengganu actually MCO violator
- M’sia causes shortage on condoms around the world
- 7 easy home workouts using random household items
1. Coconut oil, nestum and honey lip scrub – Softens & plumps lips
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons
This simple lip scrub is great for those who have dry lips as it is less damaging to buff out the dead skin rather than peel it off. It uses coconut oil which is packed with nourishing fatty acids and it also contains vitamin E, which helps smoothen the skin.
Image adapted from: Nestum
Nestum is naturally coarse and that helps scrub away dead skin cells on your lips. You can add honey to cut the bitter taste of the coconut oil – it helps to soften your skin too.
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 2 tsp of Nestum
- 1 tbsp of honey (optional)
- Ground the nestum using a pestle and mortar to create a fine sandy texture.
- Mix everything together to make a paste.
- Gently exfoliate your lips in a circular motion.
- Wipe the mixture off with a damp cloth.
Tip: If you don’t have Nestum, you can substitute it with Hup Seng crackers.
2. Listerine and vinegar foot soak – Repairs chapped heels
Image credit: @moorlife_solo_cmn
Listerine has a number of antibacterial properties in their ingredients. Besides using it as a mouthwash, it can also be used to treat foot and nail fungus.
The same properties can be found in vinegar which is high in acidity. For this foot soak, you’ll just have to combine the 2 ingredients in a tub that can fit both your feet.
- 1 cup of listerine
- 1 cup of vinegar
- 2 cups of warm water
- Put all the liquids into the tub and swirl the mixture together.
- Soak your feet in the solution for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a fairly rough towel, or a foot file if you have one, to scrub off the dead skin from the bottom of your feet in a circular motion.
Tip: If you have sensitive skin, soak for a shorter period of time or you can add more water to the solution.
3. Banana face and body mask – Natural moisturiser
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons
Bananas are relatively cheap and easy to get a hold of. Not only are they yummy but they can be a cheap alternative to moisturiser. This is because bananas contain potassium and vitamins E and C which help slough off excess sebum on the skin’s surface to give you that youthful glow. All you need is just 1 ingredient for this natural moisturising mask.
- 1 ripe banana medium size
- Mash the banana into a fine paste.
- Spread evenly all over your face and neck.
- Leave on for at least 20 mins.
- Wipe off gently with a paper towel.
Image credit: Marco Verch
Tip: Triple up your ingredients if you plan to use this as an overall body mask. If you have an overripe banana that you can no longer consume, you can use that too.
4. Nescafe, sugar and coconut oil body scrub – Reduces the appearance of cellulite
Most of us can agree that coffee smells divine. But other than in your cup of morning joe, coffee grounds are widely used in many beauty products. It promotes blood circulation to the targeted area where you are scrubbing, which helps reduce the appearance of cellulite, stretch marks and dark skin spots.
It also helps buff away dead skin cells and encourage skin renewal. You can easily make your very own fragrant body scrub with your stash of Nescafe in the kitchen.
- 1/2 cup of Nescafe
- 1/2 cup of brown/white sugar
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract (optional)
- Mix the Nescafe and sugar in a mixing bowl and add in coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Gently massage a portion of the mixture in a circular motion on your targeted area.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash off thoroughly. It is also safe to use on your face but you’ll have to massage it a little more gently.
Tip: You can double up the mixture to use it as an overall body scrub. As a treat against the Malaysian heat, you can prepare it the night before and place it in the fridge.
5. Milk face mask – Natural spot lightener & skin rejuvenation
Image credit: Alibaba
This is a very easy-to-prepare mask that requires only 1 ingredient: milk. Milk contains lactic acid that’ll help reduce pigmentation, heal dry skin, hydrate skin and has properties to help heal acne. So this mask is especially perfect for teenagers with acne prone skin.
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- Place the milk powder in a bowl and slowly add in water to form a thick paste.
- Coat your entire face, neck and arms.
- Leave it till it dries.
- Wipe or wash off thoroughly.
6. Egg and limau kasturi hair mask – For those with oily scalp
This hair mask contains eggs which are rich in Vitamins A, D, and E and they contain proteins and fatty acids. All these are great to retain the shine in your hair, whereas lime absorbs excess oil and grease in the scalp which will help clean your hair from any buildup of products and dust.
- 1 egg
- 1 limau kasturi
- Crack your egg into a bowl – use only the egg white.
- Squeeze in the lime and mix till you have a smooth mixture.
- Apply to damp hair evenly.
- Tie your hair up into a bun and cover with a plastic wrap or shower cap.
- Let it sit for 30 mins and then thoroughly rinse out with shampoo and conditioner.
Tip: If you have thicker hair, double up the ingredients.
7. Rice water hair rinse – Strengthens roots and removes dandruff
Image credit: @laspocionesdeisa
Rice water has been used for centuries as a daily hair rinse by the Yao women in China to achieve luscious long black hair that stays healthy even into their old age. They swore by rice water as it is rich in fibers and vitamins especially vitamin B and C.
This easy-to-make concoction works by repairing damaged hair from the inside out, with the added bonus of clearing an itchy and flaky scalp.
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 cup of water
- Wash your rice to remove all the dirt and impurities.
- Place washed rice into a bowl with water and mix till the water gets cloudy.
- Strain the rice, but this time keep the water in a separate container and let it sit for at least 12 hours at room temperature.
- After shampooing and conditioning, use the rice water solution on your hair, concentrating on the roots. Run a comb through your hair to ensure everything is coated.
- Let it sit for 2 minutes and rinse with warm water.
Disclaimer: Do not let your rice water sit for more than 24 hours as it will go bad.
8. Turmeric under eye mask – Reduces dark circles
Turmeric is known to be one of the healthiest ingredients to consume in the world
Image credit: WebMD
If you have any turmeric lying about the house, you can easily make this mask. Many Malaysians would have heard once or twice in their lives from a neighbour or relative who would swear by the magic of turmeric. This is because it contains curcumin, a compound which can minimize UV damage, clear breakouts, and brighten pigmentation on any part of your body.
- 1 tbsp of turmeric
- 1 tbsp of milk powder
- Enough water to make a paste
- Mix all the ingredients into a bowl.
- Apply the paste to your under eye area with a cotton pad. You can also apply it to other parts of your face that require lightening.
- Leave on for 15 minutes and wipe off carefully using a cotton pad, taking care not to get the mixture into your eyes.
Disclaimer: You might notice a hint of yellow on your skin but, it’ll eventually fade after a few minutes.
Easy DIY natural at-home spa
These DIY spa treatments are so easy to put together especially since the majority of the ingredients can be found in your kitchen. With more free time during the Movement Control Order period, this might be the best time to take a second to sit back, relax with a little pamper session.
For more things to do during MCO:
- 7 Home workouts using random household items
- 9 Online games to play during MCO
- 5 Ways to disinfect your home